Thursday 22 November 2012

In praise of Scrivener for #NaNoWriMo

As I pointed out, early on, I was hedging my bets with NaNo this year, by using Scrivener. 


I figured that even if I didn't get to 50K words, then I might have really learned my way around Scrivener, which would be a good investment.
It felt a little slower to start with (rather like when I started touch-typing, and wanted to go back to hunt&peck) but now I love it, and feel relatively secure that I won't lose something.

I haven't used anywhere near all the bells and whistles (I don't want to get totally side-tracked) but it handled dropping in random research stuff from the net with ease, and while writing I have all those notes and references right there.

It compiles all new writing simply, including or excluding any parts you choose.  It's just great.

It's well supported with helpful text and video, it works on both Mac and PC, it's elegantly designed, and it's even very reasonably priced software. (£27.57, or $40).

You can try it for free for 30 real days, not 30 days from download, so if you used it once a week it would last you (free) for over six months.  How fair can it get?

Highly recommended!

Get Scrivener from Literature & Latte

Here's a blog enthusing about it, from the writer of Scrivener for Dummies.

And here's Dr TimTyson enthusing:


Dr Tim's workspace, not mine - you have a lot of choice


No comments:

Post a Comment